As the summer wore on this alone turned out to be a big game changer. To be honest the first few trips were disappointing. It was seriously cold at night, in fact I think the first night I did was -5c, coupled with high pressure, and with the lake being very coloured after the winter floods, I couldn’t seem to find anything however hard I looked. The first session I had 6 massive tench, and every time the buzzer went I was sure it was a carp. I stuck with it though, and as time wore on even though the water didn’t clear, the odd fish started coming out. Not to me I might add, until mid-May when I got off the mark with 2 nice mirrors both over 30 lbs. These came on little pop ups over about a dozen baits, as by then I had realised big beds of boilies wasn’t the one. With the coloured water, the weed wasn’t coming up at all, and that made the fish extremely mobile, as fast as you could locate them, they’d be off again and right up the opposite end of the lake. Being mobile was the key, and I think I fished different swims almost every night I did there that spring.
It wasn’t until June that things really came good for me. By then the fish had spawned and the lake had been shut for a while to allow them to spawn and recover. During this time the water had cleared and the weed had begun to flourish. I did the first night in a swim at the far end of the lake, but by first light the following morning I knew it wasn’t the one, as I had neither seen or heard anything at all. I was wound in by 6 am, and walked down to the car park, which gave me a look at the bottom end of the lake. I sat there for a while, and eventually one jumped right out in the weed right in the corner of the bottom bay. That was enough for me and I raced back and threw my gear on the barrow. The two areas were the furthest possible distance from each other, but with the power barrow it wasn’t too bad.
The fish had showed in the thickest weed, and that corner swim was choked with it. I could see fish drifting in and out, and there were a couple of shallow gravel areas I could easily see from the bank, that were clear at least. However, in all honesty I knew I would struggle to extract anything I hooked from there, plus the line lay over the weed would be awful. The swim next door seemed a better option, and I felt I had a chance when the fish crept out of the weed. I flicked my first rod out to the left onto the end of a shallow bar I could see, and tried my best to sink the line around the weed between the bank, and the spot. This was where the Noir was good, as I could place all 3 rigs without the need for leading the swim for ages, and possibly ruining my chance. The other two rods went out longer, onto the back of another bar that I could see, each going down with hard drops. I could catapult out some boilies, and held off using the spomb until I was sure the fish had left. The first take came within an hour, to the close in rod, and by that evening I had landed three, all spawned out 20s, but showing that making the move had paid off. That evening I went to work with the spomb, putting out 20 big ones of my K5 onto the longer spot, as it was clear the fish were now responding to more bait.