It had been a while since I had managed to get the rods out, it’s been a really busy time starting up my own IT support and Consultancy company and spending time with the family.

I was itching to get the rods out and I managed to take the Friday afternoon off work and head over to Monks Pit nice and early for a 48 hour session!

As I arrived I was surprised to see only a few anglers on. I found fish straight away sitting in dense weed beds in the shallows and it looked awesome for a bite. After a little of deliberation I opted for a swim called the plateau.

After a good lead about spots where found, rigs where in position and 200 Bait-Tech Poloni boilies were scattered over two rods and I was fishing. I Just had to sit back, watch the water and wait for it to happen.

4.30am on Saturday morning soon came around and I had yet to recieve a bleep. It was so strange as I really thought it was going to happen and I stood there at first light just watching and waiting for fish to give themselves away.

I soon saw fish showing on the other side of the lake in the furthest swim away from me. Without hesitation I packed everything up and moved. By 5:30am I was set up in a swim called the swamp, the rods were on the spots and I was feeling confident now I was on fish. A light scattering of the Poloni boiloies and single pop-ups on hinge stiff rigs with size 5 Gardner Covert chod hooks in amongst them.

At 2:30pm in the afternoon, in 25 degrees and fishing in 23 feet of water I had my first bite. How mental is that! Fishing in that depth of water and in those temperatures. Simply Mind blowing to me, but then again its where they live.

As soon as I lifted into it I knew it was a good fish and after a hairy fight and weed bed after weed bed it finally graced the net. I was soon cradling the first fish of the session weighing 32lb 7oz – I was absolutely made up. The early morning move had really paid off.

Nothing else happened for the rest of the day or night, but first light on Sunday morning it really kicked off. The left hand rod absolutely melted off resulting in a 22lb mirror and then at 10:30am after Spombing a bit more bait over the rods the middle rod pulled up tight and resulted in another UK forty. The result was a lovely old bruiser of a mirror that went 40lb 11oz. A proper mental buzz and what a session! Being mobile, active and watching the water can really change your session, I guess that’s why we love fishing so much. You just never know how the session is going to pan out.