These Helicopter leaders create a semi-fixed lead arrangement and offer anglers the safest method of fishing with leadcore leaders.
Constructed using 1.5m pre-spliced Gardner Heavy Plummet Leadcore (45lb B/S) and Covert components. This system is tied in the UK.
Essentially, these Helicopter Leaders use Covert Safety beads and 0.5mm silicon tube to make sure the hooklink can separate from the leader if necessary. The lead is mounted on the end of the leader using a Covert X-Small Speed Link so it’s easy to change lead – increasing or decreasing size to suit individual angling circumstances.
By mounting the lead on end of the leader the finished arrangement is extremely aerodynamic – making this style of rig popular for long range fishing and this arrangement is well known for having good anti-tangle properties.
This lead arrangement is easily adjusted to work on a wide variety of different lake beds, simply by adjusting the distance that the hooklink is stopped above the lead. For instance, in silt push the 0.5mm silicon tube ‘stop’ further away from the lead; this ensures that when the lead plummets down into the sediment it doesn’t drag the hookbait down with it. Alternatively, if you’re fishing on hard sand or gravel spots the silicon stop is positioned close to the lead – so that the bolt effect is maximised. For Chod rigs simply slide the silicon tube/stop further up the leader.
These leaders are available in green or brown.
Ready to go in three steps:
1. Tie on the Helicopter Leader with a strong and reliable knot (*see guide below).
2. Mount lead weight needed onto the Covert Extra Small Speed Link.
3. Mount your hooklink on the size 12 Covert Kwik Lok Flexi Ring swivel. Keep hooklink firmly in position with a small section of tubing or a Covert Anti Tangle Sleeve.
Rig adjustments for different lake beds:
- For silt and light weed, slide the 0.5mm silicon section 8-10cm away from the lead. This means that the lead is in the silt but the hooklink will settle on top of the debris.
- Fishing on firm sand or gravel keep the stop approximately 1cm above the lead.
Recommended connection between mainline to spliced loop at the top of the leader:
- With Copolymer lines A ‘loop to loop’ is extremely consistent – created by forming a strong figure of 8 loop knot in mainline. A popular alternative to use a 5 turn Grinner Knot, normally best tied ‘once through spliced loop’.
- With Fluorocarbon lines we recommend a Tucked Blood Knot with 3 or 4 turns.