Your shopping cart is empty
Visit the shop
2. Temperature plays a huge part at this time of year as the weather can be somewhat inconsistent. Even short spells of high air pressure with their associated cold clear nights can put the fish back into their winter slumber so obviously weather plays a major part.
3. Spring fishing can be very unpredictable so make sure you have plenty of bait with you even if you’re on a short trip. If it kicks off and the fish switch on you want to make the most of any opportunity that presents itself.
5. Choice of bait can be a tricky depending on the temperatures fish meals aren’t always the best option. I’ve found tiger nuts to be a good bet if the conditions aren’t great.
6. Pop ups are normally my rig of choice for much my fishing but even more so at this time of year. With the debris that have collected on the lake bed over the winter months you need to be sure you’re fishing 100% effectively without the hook being masked by any detritus.
8. Hi-viz hook baits are essential in my opinion and will always have at least one if not all rods with some sort of visual aspect to them – with bright pop up hook baits or as a topper on snowman rigs.
9. As it starts to get warmer pre-baiting will give you massive benefits. Getting the carp used to eating your bait can only be a good thing for the coming season and it doesn’t have to be a lot either thirty baits every couple of days can be enough to make a difference.